General Application Information
Applicants to The University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine's Advanced Dental Education and Residency Programs may use either the ADEA Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS), Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (MATCH) application, or the self-managed application process. Please refer to the program of interest for specific application procedures.
Completed applications (including the non-refundable application fee, letters of recommendation, and all test scores) must be received in the Office of Residency Education by the Department-specified program application deadline date. Application deadline dates vary by program and application deadlines are strictly enforced.
Application Procedures for PASS/MATCH Applications
Those applying to the Dental Anesthesiology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, and Pediatric Dentistry programs must complete both a PASS and Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (MATCH) application.
Further information regarding the PASS/MATCH process may be found by contacting the application services directly.
Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (MATCH)
National Matching Services, Inc
20 Holly Street, Suite 301
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4S 3B1
Application Procedure for Self-Managed Application
Carefully read and follow the instructions so that there will be no delay in the receipt of your application by the School of Dental Medicine Admissions' Committee.
Instructions for Submitting Your Complete Application
- Complete and submit the School of Dental Medicine Self-Managed Application.
- Include your current Curriculum Vitae and a one-page Personal Statement describing your reasons and objectives for undertaking graduate study.
- Three letters of recommendation (the Dean's recommendation and two other recommendations).
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 (check made payable to the University of Pittsburgh). This fee is for self-managed applications, only. PASS applications do not require this fee.
- Official score report from the National Board Dental Examinations (Parts I and II). Results are to be submitted directly to Ms. Alycia Maltony at the School of Dental Medicine from the National Board Dental Examinations, 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2678.
- Original or certified/notarized copies of all original-language academic records, mark sheets, and transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Certified copies of the original certificates or diplomas awarded at the completion of studies must also be submitted. Where official, original documents are issued in a language other than English, certified/notarized English translations must be included: Uncertified English translations will not be accepted.
- If submitting by U.S. mail, place the application, curriculum vitae, personal statement, academic records and transcripts, letters of recommendation, and the application fee in one envelope. Letters of recommendation must be in envelopes that are sealed by the individual writer of the recommendation. The writer's signature must appear on the back flap of the envelope.
Mail completed application to:
University of Pittsburgh
School of Dental Medicine
Office of Residency Education
Attention: Ms. Alycia Maltony
440 Salk Hall
3501 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
All materials, including the National Board and TOEFL Scores, must be received in our office by the application deadline for the respective program.
All application instructions should be followed carefully. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete. Incomplete applications will not be processed. All materials submitted for consideration become the property of the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine and will not be returned to the applicant for any reason.
Interviews/Selection of Students
Interviews will be granted after the applicant's credentials have been reviewed. Interviews are by invitation only. Candidates selected for an interview will be notified by a representative from the respective program.
Selection Process Criteria
Due to the diverse needs of the individual programs, each specialty program will establish specific criteria for the selection of applicants. The following acceptance criteria must be met by all candidates:
- Academic qualifications that exhibit the potential for success;
- National Board Scores which demonstrate a high level of competency;
- Letters of recommendations; and
- An interview
- All successful applicants must possess a DMD or DDS degree to matriculate into an Advanced Dental Education or Residency Program. Applicants with degrees from dental schools outside of the United States or Canada must meet educational requirements established and evaluated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to matriculation.
- The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs provides incentive payments to eligible professionals and eligible hospitals including dental schools, as they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology. It is expected that if you are an eligible professional (EP) who has received a National Provider Identifier (NPI) will support the School of Dental Medicine in the acquisition of Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Program funds by facilitating your enrollment through Medical Assistance and the Pennsylvania PROMISeTM System while you are enrolled in one of the School of Dental Medicine Advanced Dental Education or Residency Programs. All payments of funds out of these programs will be used to support the SDM's EHR infrastructure and are not part of your compensation