You can find specific information on projects supporting the research objectives listed below by visiting our pages on Translational Research and Dental Informatics Research detailing the on-going projects at CIOHTR. For additional information on our research please visit our publications page.
- Pursuing extramural funding to:
- Engage in high quality translational research in dentistry
- Support a sustainable Center, including a component resembling a US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Evidence‑based Practice Center (EPC) or the Cochrane Oral Health Group in the United Kingdom. To our knowledge, no academic EPC dedicated to synthesizing evidence in oral biomedicine exists in North America.
- Developing of a learning health system with links to components already in place, such as data warehouses, electronic health record systems, biospecimen repositories, and knowledge resources
- Training of students and faculty in the fundamental principles of evidence-based practice and translational research, including mixed methods (qualitative and quantitative) to encourage building collaborative teams with complementary research strengths
- Developing an infrastructure in support of faculty who conduct translational research, with a special emphasis on helping clinicians partner with experienced researchers and the provision of consultative services with methodologists experienced in oral health and ‘omics’ knowledge resources to support literature reviews, data management plans, and proposal development
- Introducing review methods suitable for mapping research literature to identify research gaps, formulate meaningful research questions, and guide proposal development