Pictured above: Dr. Thomas Braun, Dean; Distinguished Alumnus Dental Medicine, Col. Shan Bagby (DMD '93); Distinguished Alumna Dental Hygiene, Ms. Susan Ban (DH '80); and Distinguished Alumnus Advanced Education, Dr. Andrew Kwasny (DMD '83, MS Ortho ’85)
In 1965 the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine initiated the Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award to recognize those dental alumni who had brought recognition to the University and the School of Dental Medicine through their contributions to society and the profession of dentistry. Each year the Distinguished Alumnus Selection Committee gathers to review nominations of individuals whose contributions have been exceptionally significant, beyond that which would normally have been expected and whose high professional standards have been of such character as to have materially aided and advanced the art and science of dentistry. Starting in 1998, an advanced education program recipient and/or a dental hygiene recipient may be recognized.
Distinguished Alumnus Recipients - Dental Medicine
|1965||Dr. Clyde H. Schuyler||1916|
|1966||Dr. Albert Pechan||1928|
|1967||Dr. William D. McClelland||1918|
|1968||Dr. I. Franklin Miller||1936|
|1969||Dr. Stephen P. Forrest||1936|
|1970*||Dr. John L. Boots||1918|
|Dr. Yu Kyung Lee||1937|
|1976||Dr. Isaac Sissman||1925|
|1977*||Dr. Charles F. McDermott||1934|
|Dr. George P. Boucek||1940|
|1979||Dr. James M. McNerney||1926|
|1981||Dr. Clement Chieh-Chuan Wang||1932|
|1985||Dr. Arthur C. McFeaters, Jr.||1958|
|1986||Dr. W. Arthur George||1932|
|1987||Dr. Edward J. Forrest||1941|
|1988||Dr. Charles J. Miller||1950|
|1989||Dr. William Stark||1946|
|1990||Dr. James W. Smudski||1952|
|1991||Dr. William B. Trice||1953|
|1992||Dr. Stephen L. Kondis||1953|
|1993||Dr. K. B. Chun||1945|
|1994||Dr. George Georgieff||1961|
|1995||Dr. Ruth Semenow-Friedman||1945|
|1996*||Dr. Stanley J. Behrman||1945|
|Dr. Marvin Sniderman||1947|
|1997||Dr. John B. Lathrop||1961|
|1998||Dr. Ronald Johnson||1961|
|1999||Dr. Robert S. Runzo||1952|
|2000*||Dr. Andrejs Baumhammers||1959|
|Dr. Raymond Lancione||1957|
|2001||Dr. Ellsworth T. Bowser||1960|
|2004||Dr. Arthur J. Nowak||1961|
|2005||Dr. Nicholas K. Long||1965|
|2006||Dr. William Carpenter||1964|
|2007||Dr. Judith Davenport||1979|
|2008||Dr. Thomas W. Braun||1973|
|2009||Dr. Harold W. Posner||1944|
|2010||Dr. F. Eugene Ewing||1953|
|2011||Colonel Priscilla H. Hamilton||1982|
|2012||Dr. Terry L. Buckenheimer||1980|
|2013||Colonel Robert K. Manga||1981|
|2014||Captain David A. Bitonti||1985|
|2015||Dr. Robert J. Weyant||1982|
|2016||Dr. Mark W. Ochs||1983|
|2017||Colonel Shan K. Bagby||1993|
Distinguished Alumnus Recipients - Advanced Education Program
|2004||Dr. Dennis N. Ranalli, MDS||1982|
|2005||Dr. Paul A. Moore||1977|
|2007||Dr. John A. Molinari||1970|
|2008 *||Dr. C. Richard Bennett||1967|
|Dr. Jay I. Reznik||1972|
|2010||Dr. Deborah Studen-Pavlovich||1980|
|2011||Judge Donald Machen||1972|
|2012||Dr. Richard J. Crout||1973|
|2013||Dr. Louis B. Jannetto||1961|
|2014||Dr. A. Omar Abubaker||1990|
|2015||Dr. Joseph A. Giovannitti||1979|
|2017||Dr. Andrew Kwasny||1983|
Distinguished Alumnus Recipients - Dental Hygiene
|1997||Dr. Joanne Nicoll||1967|
|1999||Ms. Angelina Riccelli||1974|
|2000||Ms. Margaret Lappan-Green||1968|
|2001||Ms. Eleanor W. Jockers||1982|
|2003||Ms. Connie Tanner-Bird||1976|
|2006||Dr. Marcia Leonardi Gladwin||1972|
|2007||Ms. Madeline Dudas||1964|
|2008||Dr. Margaret McCormick-Pipko||1965|
|2009||Ms. Barbara Egnot||1975|
|2010||Dr. Victoria Bastecki-Perez||1985|
|2011||Ms. Michele Leonardi Darby||1969|
|2012||Dr. Caroll Johnston Deuben||1965|
|2013||Ms. Judith Gallagher||1972|
|2014||Dr. Karen Skaff||1968|
|2015||Ms. Susan Holstein Michaylo||1984|
|2017||Ms. Susan Ban||1980|
* indicates two recipients for that year
Distinguished Alumni Award Categories
The University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine Distinguished Alumni Awards may be presented in each of the following categories: Distinguished Alumnus- Dental Medicine; Distinguished Alumnus- Dental Hygiene; and Distinguished Alumnus- Advanced Education Program, to individuals who have excelled in one or more of the following areas:
- One whose contribution of time and effort to the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine has been exceptionally significant, beyond that which would normally have been expected.
- One whose significant attainments and high professional standards have been of such character as to have materially aided and advanced the art and science of dentistry.
- One whose public life and activities have been of such a nature as to reflect great credit upon the profession and the School of Dental Medicine.
- One who has contributed to original research in the dental profession.
- A one page biographical sketch of each candidate must accompany the nomination sent to the chairpersons of the Awards Committee.
- In the event that the Awards Committee decides in any year that no nominee has attained the above stated criteria, it shall so report.
- No member of the Awards Committee shall be considered eligible.
- The deadline for submission of nominations shall be November 1.
- The recipient of the Award shall be notified as soon as possible, but no later than 60 days before the presentation.
- The Dean, or a designee, shall make the presentation of these awards.
- Recipients shall be the guests of the Dental Alumni Association at the School of Dental Medicine Alumni Homecoming Weekend (or Dean's Scholarship Ball) during which the presentation is made.
The Awards Committee shall consist of six members:
- Two Co-Chairs as indicated by the By-laws
- A representative of the Faculty/Staff of the School
- The President of the Dental Alumni Association
- A previous recipient of the Award
- The Executive Director of the Alumni Association
The foregoing requirements and requests for nominees shall be outlined yearly in the Dental Alumni Association's Publication.
Approved by the Executive Committee November 21, 1997.
Approved by the Board of Directors December 1, 1997.
Effective Date: January 1, 1998
Guidelines amended for 2001, approved by the Executive Committee February 4, 2000 and the Board of Directors March 20, 2000.
|2000||Dr. Stanley Behrman||1945|
|2004||Dr. William B. Trice||1953|
|2005||Dr. Judith Davenport||1979|
|2006||Dr. Ellsworth T. Bowser||1960|
|2007||Dr. H. Raymond Primas||1947|
|2008||Dr. Brian Generalovich||1968|
|2009||Dr. Harold K. Wrigley||1967|
|2011||Colonel Priscilla H. Hamilton||1982|
|2013||Dr. Arthur John Nowak||1961|
About The Legacy Laureates
Launched in 2000, the Legacy Laureate program recognizes Pitt alumni who have excelled both professionally and personally and who exemplify the best in leadership qualities and commitment to the greater good for their professions, communities, and the world at large.
Award of Appreciation
|Auxiliary to the Dental Society of Western Pennsylvania|
Addison H. Gibson Foundation
|Mrs. Charlotte G. Kisseleff|
|Dental Society of Western Pennsylvania|
|Dental Alumni Association|
|Dr. Ruth S. Friedman|
|Dr. William H. Labriola|
|Dr. William Stark|
|Dr. Milton E. Nicholson|
|Dr. Gilbert N. Robin|
|Ms. Helen C. Pearce|
|Dr. W. Arthur George|
|Mr. Herman H. Langkamp|
Dr. Stephen L. Kondis
|Dr. Raymond Primas||2007|
|Ms. Abby Sniderman Milstein||2009|
|Ms. Dee Delaney||2009|
|Dr. Harry Zohn & Dr. Cecile Feldman||2010|
|Dr. R. Donald Hoffman||2011|
|Dr. James Guggenheimer||2014|
|Dr. David A. Anderson||2016|
About The Award of Appreciation
The University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine established the Award of Appreciation on September 1, 1986 to recognize individuals or groups who have contributed significantly to the Mission and Goals of the School of Dental Medicine.