The University of Pittsburgh Dental Hygiene Program practices a rolling admissions policy which means that it does not hold to a specific deadline by which applicants must apply. The Program offers admission to qualified applicants on an ongoing basis until the class is full. Please note that one class of 36 students is admitted in each academic year beginning in the fall term. It is therefore highly recommended that those seeking admission into the Dental Hygiene Program apply early.
Important Application Dates
November 1: Early admissions review for Fall Applicant Seminar
February 1: Admissions review for Spring Applicant Seminar
- High school diploma or GED equivalency
- Scholastic Achievement Test (SAT I) scores.
- Individuals must achieve a combined score of 1200 or greater on the critical reading (verbal) and the quatitative (math) sections.
- SAT Waiver Policy: In lieu of a minimum SAT I score of 1200, the Dental Hygiene Program will accept 24 post-secondary college credits with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. This must include college algebra or a higher math course with a final grade of B or above. Intermediate algebra is accepted.
- An ACT Composite score of 24 or higher can be substituted for the SAT.
- High school or post-secondary chemistry with a lab component achieving a final grade of B (84%) or above.
- High school or post-secondary biology course with a lab component achieving a final grade of B (84%) or above.
- High school GPA of 3.0 or above
- Minimum combined GPA of 3.0 at all post-secondary academic institutions attended.
- College level English Composition and Introduction to Sociology courses must be completed by the end of the summer term of the first academic year and the student must achieve a final grade of B- or better. Students who do not meet this requirement will not be promoted to the second year. It is strongly recommended that these courses be completed prior to entry into the Program.
- 15 hours of job shadowing with a practicing dental hygienist
- Results from personal interview with the Admissions Committee.
- Results from written interview questions.
- Results from a minimum of three professional references.
- Applicant essay.
- Completed Dental Hygiene Application Packet
An application is considered complete and ready for review by the Admissions Committee when the following materials have been received:
- Four-page Dental Hygiene Application (including personal essay)
- University of Pittsburgh Admissions Data Form
- $45 application fee (check or money order made payable to the “The University of Pittsburgh” is non-refundable and subject to change). Current University of Pittsburgh students are not required to submit an application fee.
- Official high school transcript (sent directly from the high school to the address below)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary academic institutions attended (sent directly from the institution(s) to the address below)
- SAT I Scores/ACT Scores
- Three completed Professional Reference Forms (teachers, employers, guidance counselors)
- Completed Job Shadowing Form
Please submit all application materials to:
Once the Admissions Committee has reviewed the completed application and a student meets the minimum criteria for admission into the program, a personal interview will be scheduled. Personal interviews are conducted during the Program’s Applicant Seminars which are offered in late fall and early spring. Out-of state applicants may be eligible for phone interviews.
Please note that the cost to attend the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine Dental Hygiene Program is subject to change without notice.
We welcome international students to apply to the Program and want to make the application process as smooth as possible. It is to your advantage to plan ahead and submit your application and required materials early, especially if you are pursuing a visa.
In addition to completing and submitting the application materials listed above, international applicants are required to submit an official credential evaluation of all international documents (transcripts, marksheets, certificates, examination results, etc.) from Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE). You may contact ECE at the address below.
Citizens of countries where English is not the official language (including the Province of Quebec, Canada) are required to submit English language proficiency scores. Applicants who have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution in the United States are exempt. Applicants must submit scores that are less than 2 years old from one of the following:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
A TOEFL composite score of 100 or higher with subscores of 21 or higher is required for admission to the Dental Hygiene Program. Learn more about TOEFL exemptions to this requirement.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
A IELTS score of 7.0 with subscores of 6.0 or higher is required for admission to the Dental Hygiene Program.
It is recommended strongly that international students review the Information Regarding Financial Support document prior to accepting a position in the Dental Hygiene Program. It is important to understand all program costs associated with enrollment at the University of Pittsburgh since financial aid and scholarship options are not available to international students.